Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Adirondacks

The northern Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York hold some of the most jaw-dropping, breathtaking views I've ever seen.  I can't even begin to describe how beautiful the Lake Placid region is, so all I can really do is post some pictures I took that don't do it any justice.  It's the only place I've been to where you can actually walk to the top of a grassy hill in a matter of minutes, sit back, relax, and marvel at the storm clouds swiftly rolling in over the distant mountaintops.  You can watch the sky change from bold, royal blues and emerald greens to orange, silver and black.  The wind picks up, and thundershowers drench the earth and finally give way to rainbows in the distance.  Then a cool mist gently evaporates as the smell of metal permeates the air and sunshine slowly returns to reveal an entirely different color palette in the sky.  It is absolutely gorgeous, and as Wordsworth writes in "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud," one can't help but be happy in a place like that. It's so indulgent and luxurious to be in a place where you can witness that kind of natural beauty every single day, and it's never the same twice.  I'd return there in a heartbeat.














No comments:

Post a Comment